Friday, August 15, 2008

A threat that goes to the throat of American culture

When I first got into revisionism, at the very beginning, I wrote that if the revisionists are right about the core Holocaust narrative, the history of the 20th century would have to be rewritten. That was a very big statement for someone like me to make. I soon understood that it was a matter, however, that was widely believed to be so by most everyone who was familiar with the significance of revisionist arguments.

This evening, reading in Donoghue’s The Ordinary Universe, it occurs to me for perhaps the second time today that the question -- it is really my question -- asking for the name, with proof, of one person who was killed in a gas chamber at Auschwitz, goes beyond that early assertion I made more or less to myself. The question, “One Person, with Proof …” constitutes a direct threat to every individual associated with government, media, the academy, the arts, business in America. It’s a question that goes to the heart, to the throat, of American culture. And I’m the one asking it? Something isn’t right here. And then, why today?

I underlined some stuff in Donoghue and made a couple notes. I made a note on how Valery wrote that God gives the poet the first line free, but it is up to the poet to get the rest of it right.

Below that I noted that when I started doing revisionism, I stopped writing. That was more than 25 years ago. Why did I stop?

No comments: