Sunday, September 14, 2008

Is there a silence between two thoughts?

Sean asks if I have the names of the 12 original SS knights of the order of the Schwarze? I have to confess that I do not. I have received a number of such questions. If I cannot name the 12 originals here – it means what? That I should not expect any academic to be able to name one person, with proof, who was killed in a gas chamber at Auschwitz. In addition to the lack of the presumed logic of the question, it ignores the issues. If I could answer the question it would not suggest that the history of the 20th century would have to be either accepted or rewritten, and it would neither prove nor disprove the “unique monstrosity” of the Germans.

***

In Scientific American I read that “… something happens at the point of losing consciousness that solidifies memories.” Doesn’t ring a bell with me.

In Joseph Campbell’s Flight of the Wild Gander I read: “In the silence between two thoughts. That’s when something new can happen.” Here the bells sound on every side. When thought is moving it’s necessarily following a track from the instant before. It’s busy. It’s got something to do. What it has to do is with what’s behind it. When it stops, in that instant there’s nothing there. The universe slides in. The interesting thing, perhaps, is why it should stop at all. And why it should stop where it does stop.

Walking on the Boulevard at dusk when a blackbird dives down toward my head from a tree. I continue walking. He dives down to my head again and again. There is a persistence to his behavior that alerts me. Does he actually want me? Nah. He’s making a point. Like the Russians in South Ossetia.

The Russians in South Ossetia? Did I suffer a moment between two thoughts?

Tomorrow I have to go to Chula Vista on the other side for some new labs. That’s what they call drawing blood for testing in the laboratory. Labs. Some Chemo drugs are delivered from hanging plastic bags through a needle into your arm. When the drug is injected directly from a large needle they call it a “push.” I told one of the young nurses that it sounded like street talk. Pushing a drug. She laughed and said: “Now you know.” I thought that was a pretty sophisticated response. They took about twenty labs last week, but they have found a reason to draw some more. Will lose most of the day. On Tuesday I will turn to the second step of the UNESCO Project.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's easy to name at least one original member of the SS: Julius Gregor Schaub, born August 20, 1898 in Munich, died December 27, 1967 in Munich.