Sunday, September 28, 2008

Smith writes to Noam Chomsky

Professor Chomsky: I would like to ask you one question. I will accept your answer as you give it and not attempt to involve you in a long back and forth.

My question is: Do you believe it reasonable, or unreasonable, that I should ask academics and directors of Holocaust centers if they can provide “the name, with proof, of one person who was killed in a gas chamber at Auschwitz?”

I have asked this question of Dr. Paul Shapiro, Director of the Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, along with some 2,500-plus American and European academics. Neither Dr. Shapiro nor any academic has responded.

In my view, if we are going to routinely reference the “unique monstrosity” of the Germans, we should be able to identify one person, with proof, who was a victim of the “monstrous” German gas chambers.

I asked you this question a couple months back but received no reply. Now I have been copied on the brief exchange you had in August with Robert Faurisson and see that you are not unwilling to respond to reasoned inquiries on such matters.

My letter to Dr. Shapiro is here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Page 243 of Nicholson Baker's *Human Smoke* contains this unembellished entry: "There was a new Nazi decree: Jews and Aryans must be physically separated in air-raid shelters. It was October 1940."

The Germans still allowed Jews access to air-raid shelters in October 1940? So how long after the start of Good War hostilities did the Nazis launch their Holocaust? They must have employed some mind-bogglingly effective WMDs to have killed six million Jews, plus all those Catholics, gypsies and Jehovah's Witnesses, in four and a half years, no?