Thursday, October 30, 2008

There Is No Jewish History

Dreamed that we were living in a different house, rather cramped, when I found a young lady in a bed. All I saw of her was some long tousled brown hair and a bare foot sticking out from beneath a sheet. I went in the other room to tell my wife. She told me that the girl and her boyfriend had visited us in Baja and that they had left for a place where they were to do meditation. I half-remembered the visit, but not really. Then my wife added that they had flown to their destination.

When I woke I told the dream to my wife and asked her if it rang a bell with her. She said no. Then she told me that it is in the Word of God that each of us is to meditate, and that it is time for me to start. I understand that every dream is about the dreamer, but this is one of those that appears to have no connection whatever with my life. Empty. Only at this moment, writing that it has no connection with my life, does it occur to me that I am informing myself that the time is come for me to meditate. Think about things. What things?

***

I admire Sarah Palin. But then there’s Sandra Bernhard. Difficult to choose.

***

The worst two days of my life – the entire life – were Monday and Tuesday. An exhaustion I have never known. I couldn’t even hold my head up. Today I’m largely over it. From here on I follow my wife’s advice. When tired, stay in bed. Simple. In bed, the issue of whether I can hold my head up is neither here nor there.

***

In the past, when revisionists used to get together, there was some talk of a revisionist “movement.” There was considerable argument of whether we wanted to identify ourselves as a “movement.” Recently I came across something by Andrei Sakharov that addresses the question very simply:

“The use of the word ‘movement’ should not bring to mind any sort of organization or association, much less the concept of a party. We are simply speaking of people who are united by a largely common point of view and method of action.”

I believe that represents most revisionists. A people who are (more or less) united in arguing for a free flow of ideas with regard to the Holocaust question.

***

There Is No Jewish History

This is a matter that had never caught my attention. With the Holocaust story, it's as if the tradition is being forwarded

"It is an established fact that not a single Jewish history text had been written between the 1st century and early 19th century. The fact that Judaism is based on a religious historical myth may have something to do with it. An adequate scrutiny of the Jewish past was never a primary concern within the Rabbinical tradition. One of the reasons is probably the lack of a need of such a methodical effort. For the Jew who lived during ancient times and the Middle Ages, there was enough in the Bible to answer most relevant questions having to do with day-to-day life, Jewish meaning and fate. As Shlomo Sand puts it, 'a secular chronological time was foreign to the ‘Diaspora time’ that was shaped by the anticipation for the coming of the Messiah”.

1 comment:

softech said...

This is a very interesting post, and the comments are also fantastic to read. I’ll have to have a little re-think about my own contact form on our new website, as this poses some interesting questions.



part time worker