Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The ADL on Smith and extremism in America

The Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith has reworked its pages on Extremism in America and completely overhauled the pages devoted to Smith. I am listed as one of the top 30 extremists in America. I used to be listed as one of the top ten extremists in America, but it’s not easy to maintain such a heady position. I don’t know who some of the comrades on the list are. And then I think some of those on the list are dead, while others no one has heard from for years. So if we’re going to be serious here I might still be among the top 15 or 20 extremists in America who is alive and working, at least in the fervid, self-absorbed imaginations of those who write this muck.

There are now ten pages of material devoted to my career, such as it is. Not everything published here is wrong, but much of it is wrong, much of it taken out of context, intentionally looked at from the worst perspective, and/or just plain stupid. The guy responsible for writing this stuff does not identify himself by name. Of course. When you specialize in defaming the other guy, it’s best to stay in the dark. The program at the Anti-Defamation League is to focus on defaming those of us who do not believe what the ADL insists everyone is obligated to believe. Its specialty is to express hatred for those who do not hate those whom the ADL hates and believes all others are obligated to hate.

Reading this makes me realize again what difficulties student journalists are up against when I submit an advertisement to their campus paper. Student editors will have to face off with an organization backed by a budget of $40,000,000 (correct me if I’m wrong) and some 500 employees. In almost every circumstance the student editor will have to stand alone, without any support from one academic on that campus (I will be glad to hear of any exceptions to this observation). And it is not just the 40-million dollar budget of the ADL that student journalists are up against. The ADL is only one segment of an immense Holocaust Marketing Industry which in America and Europe has raised, and spent, tens of billions (billions) of dollars to forward its own interests.

===============

"Bradley Smith, Extremist

“Though he often tries to present himself as a free speech activist, Bradley Smith has functioned as a propagandist for the Holocaust denial movement since 1983. He has achieved his greatest notoriety as the director of the Committee for Open Debate on the Holocaust, whose mission is to disseminate Holocaust denial to students on college campuses. In more recent lectures promot-ing his book, Break His Bones, Smith has sought to refocus his message on the free speech issue and to “decriminalize Holocaust history.” Privately, he admits that his aim continues to be pro-moting “revisionism” and anti-Israel propaganda.”

===============

This is all more or less true, looking at it in the most negative light possible. The last phrase about “anti-Israel” propaganda is not quite right. I argue against the U.S. alliance with Israel for the reason that, in my view, that alliance has been a disaster for America in more ways than one. And because it is only growing worse.

But here is where the ADL research team first demonstrably shows its carelessness and/or bad faith.

ADL claims I have published one book: “Break His Bones: The Private Life of a Holocaust Revisionist (book).”

I’ve published three books. This ADL list of publications of my books does not list my first book, Confessions of a Holocaust Revisionist, and does not list my third book, The Man Who Saw His Own Liver. In short, the ADL list of my published books misses two out of three. Is this the best research the ADL can buy? Is it something else?

In any case, I believe any student journalist at any campus in America would want to think twice about taking the ADL at its word. Meanwhile, Confessions of a Holocaust Revisionist is online here.

==========

I’ve had a recurrent dream the last couple weeks. I’m in a car, parked, when I begin to drive it backwards. In each dream the brakes do not work. I can’t stop the car from moving backwards. This morning I woke with the same dream, but this time I had spied my mother in the rearview mirror driving a bus, parking it at the curbing some fifty yards behind me. She wasn’t old and she looked pretty in a momma kind of way. I wanted to go back and say hello. I began backing up to where she was parked but when it was time to slow down the brakes did not work. No matter how hard I pressed on the brake pedal the car would not slow down. I woke up before I crashed.

1 comment:

kineton said...

I find from my own experience, confirmed by that of a few friends, that the brakes never work in dreams. When I want to brake a car in a dream, the pedal is always just beyond my reach. Either it's too far down or my leg is too short. But it doesn't seem to matter, as I always wake up before something awful happens.