Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Joke Between My Daughter and Me, Campus ad, Bishop Williamson

** Out on the street at midnight last night with my daughter, 22 years old, two kids, but I don’t want to record her name here. She has a real job on the other side with folk who might not appreciate the work her father does. I’ll call her “Pretty.”

Anyhow, Pretty and I were out at the curb at midnight last night when I had a dizzy spell and fell against the car. It lasted only an instant. It was nothing. It made me laugh. I knew the first thing we would both think of, though it had nothing to do with it, was the cancer.

So I was laughing and I said: “I thought for a minute there that maybe you’d lost me,” playing off the cancer business.

Pretty was laughing too.

“Not tonight, Dad," she said. "Please?”

What a kid!


** Today is Sunday and this afternoon it’s to the other side again for an overnighter at the VA Hospital in La Jolla. Tomorrow morning I’m going to do blood tests at 7am, see Dr. Go, my oncologist, at 8, and have the port in my chest irrigated at 9. I finished the last of the chemotherapy sessions six weeks ago. Monday last I had a PET scan, four Cat Scans and the usual blood work. Tomorrow, with all the info to hand, Dr. Go is going to tell me how long he thinks I have. I don’t know what difference it will make, but I’d like to know.


** Earlier this week I edited the opening of the ad I’m using to read:

===============

British Bishop Richard Williamson is being condemned by the Vatican and Jewish organizations for saying he does not believe the Germans mass-murdered Jews and others in gas chambers during WWII. Is he wrong? Is he right? How can we know?

I have asked the Director of the Center for Advanced Holocaust Studies at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Dr. Paul Shapiro, “to provide, with proof, the name of one (one) person who was killed in a gas chamber at Auschwitz . . . .”

===============

On Wednesday last I sent an insertion request with this text to The Cornell Daily Sun, The Hatchet at UC Sacramento, The Spectrum at SUNY-Buffalo, The Hoya at Georgetown U, The Daily Northwestern, The Daily Cal at Berkeley, and the U Chicago Maroon. The Spectrum re-jected it outright. The others have yet to answer. This is the second time the Maroon has not re-sponded.

Bishop Williamson’s questioning of the gas chambers was intentionally inflated to mean that he “denies the Holocaust,” however that might be defined. American and European journalists went along with the Holocaust Marketing Industry (HMI) on this, as they regularly do. They regularly behave like girls with this story. My apologies to the ladies in the profession.

The word beginning to circulate is that a new chapter is going to be opened with the Bishop Williamson story.


** I see that I have made a note asking myself why the ideal of intellectual freedom is not a dogma. If dogma suggests a system of belief, and is a negative, and intellectual freedom is a system of belief, why is it not a dogma? Maybe because there is no system to it. It’s an ideal without system. Is that possible? Or is the issue that there are good dogmas and bad dogmas, each based on what the individual finds most beneficial to herself? Typically, dogma has its supporters and its enemies. If the argument for intellectual freedom is a dogma I find it a good dogma in that, of itself, it has no enemies.

No comments: