Monday, March 9, 2009

The ADL and a question of cynicism

"ADL
"Bradley Smith: Ideology/Motivations"

________________________________________

“Bradley Smith is a Holocaust denier, anti-Semite, and anti-Israel propagandist. To audiences of college students, who are the primary targets of his activities, he presents himself as a crusading advocate for free speech and free debate. Despite this public claim that he aims merely to awaken students to the value of “dissident history” and free speech, in extremist forums Smith candidly and cynically explains that arguing for freedom of academic inquiry into the Holocaust enables him to introduce Holocaust denial to skeptical audiences.”

Why is it “cynical” to argue for freedom of academic inquiry on a university campus? Academic freedom does not make any promise to me that it does not make to academics and to students.

The ADL apparently feels differently. The ADL feels that academic freedom, a free exchange of ideas, gives Holocaust revisionists an advantage over those who front for the Holocaust Marketing Industry. As a matter of fact, it does. That’s why the ADL is foursquare against it.

But again, how am I being “cynical”? I’m forthright about my position. I argue that academics should encourage a free exchange of ideas generally, and with regard to the Holocaust specifically. Where is the cynicism?

I have tried to link the above ADL text to the relevant ADL page but I can't. It's as if I am being denied access to secondary pages on the ADL site. That doesn't make sense technologically. It's probably something in my own program.

===============

Now that the chemo is over, I feel pretty good, all things considered. I’m walking better, and I’m looking for a way to get into a routine for working with weights. Light weights. Irene is talking about taking the couch out of the sala to make room for our exercise bike and my weights. We haven’t found anyone yet to carry the sofa upstairs. Maybe this next week.

The other night I decided to try my first couple pushups. I’m very weak compared to where I was a couple years ago. I was on the bed, I didn’t try to lift my knees off it, and I did one pushup, a second, and with the third, which was very difficult, I pulled a muscle in my left shoulder. Our Las Vegas daughter, Marisol, was here visiting and this morning in the kitchen when I told her what had happened she said:

“You pulled a muscle doing sissy pushups?”

It was worth a laugh for both of us. She had already made the coffee. She had put broken cinnamon sticks in it. A nice Mexican touch. The shoulder still hurts.

1 comment:

Larry Fafarman said...

The ADL said,
Despite this public claim that he aims merely to awaken students to the value of “dissident history” and free speech . . .

Have you ever claimed that your aim is "merely to awaken students to the value of 'dissident history' and free speech"? The ADL would have a point if, say, you announced that you were going to give a lecture on the subject of academic freedom and then changed the subject to holocaust denial, but I see no evidence that that is the case here.

>>>>> I have tried to link the above ADL text to the relevant ADL page but I can't. It's as if I am being denied access to secondary pages on the ADL site.<<<<<<

That's because the secondary pages have the same URL link address as the first page. You have to go to the first page first, then go to the relevant secondary page.

I wish that ADL would put me on its list of "extremists" -- I sure could use the publicity for my idea that a "systematic" Jewish holocaust was impossible because the Nazis had no objective and reliable ways of identifying Jews and non-Jews. Edwin Black, author of "IBM and the Holocaust," also said that Jew identification was a big problem for the Nazis, but when he says it he is regarded as an expert and when I say it I am regarded as a crackpot (his book makes the ridiculous claim that the Nazis identified all of the Jews of Europe by using primitive IBM Hollerith machines to process data stored on billions of IBM cards). My blog has two "Holocaust revisionism" post-label groups and two "Darwin-to-Hitler" post-label groups. The post-label groups are listed in the sidebar -- the reason for the two groups for each subject is that my Blogger.com template-mode software limits me to a maximum of 20 articles per group.