Friday, May 15, 2009

Michael Savage and Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights

Michael Savage, the third most widely followed talker on American radio, has been banned from Great Britain for opinions he has expressed about American cultural and political issues. Generally his opinions are conservative, libertarian, and in a sense main stream. With regard to style, he’s an off-the-wall kind of guy I stumbled on a few months ago and find increasingly likeable.

Attorneys for the controversial San Francisco host say the ban is a blatant human rights violation and demand that British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith "rescind the arbitrary and capricious decision" last week to "name and shame" 16 individuals, including Savage, who have been barred from entry into the country.

Moreover, they contend the move by Smith is clearly illegal: Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights clearly protects the right to "freedom of expression." Article 10 states that "this right shall include the freedom to hold opinions and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers."

And that Article 19 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, signed by both the United States and Britain, "protects the right to freedom of expression."

This afternoon when my wife and I were returning from the other side from mailing the last issue of Smith’s Report and I was listening to Savage go on about how he is going to sue British Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, my wife grew increasingly restless and finally she said she wanted to know what Savage was talking about and why it interested me so. I explained in Spanish that he was working with a free speech issue, just as I’m working with a free speech issue. We’re comrades in arms, Michael Savage and me.

And then my wife said something that surprised me. She said: “Why don’t you send him one of your newsletters?”

Good grief, I thought. Why not? Michael Savage. He believes in free speech. Surely he would be interested in a newsletter that argues for free speech about a historical question that is suppressed, censored, and increasingly illegal. It would not be merely a matter of sending him a newsletter, but thinking of ways to follow up that might get his attention.

Just checked my computer clock. 11.49pm. I thought so. I can feel the new pain meds checking in. Maybe I’ll be able to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you post a form letter to Michael Savage that readers of your blog can spread around, download and sign themselves and send to him? I don't think he'll deign to respond to a single "fan" letter, but he might consider commenting on this subject if he gets a slew of them. People who don't particularly like Savage might even jump aboard on this just to get him fulminating about the indignity of holocaust "denial".