Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cat scans and the play of memory

Yesterday to the VA where they did a bone marrow biopsy, a Cat-scan of the throat where they did the surgery a few months back, and a visit with the dermatologist. A young Asian women who acted as if she liked her work, unlike the old White guy I saw last time who acted as if his work bored him. Makes me think Sotomajor may have had it right. No nap yesterday. Last night typing the journal with my eyes closed, literally, a good trick when you can do it, yet when I went to bed at 11pm I couldn’t sleep. It felt good to be there, aside from the pain, but at 2am I had to take a sleeping pill.

Today we’re submitting the first Eisenhower ads to campus papers for the summer session.

Widmann reminds me that we published a good article on the Santa denial some years ago in The Revisionist.

A lady from the Southern Poverty Law Center wants to talk to me about the Mark
Weber/IHR story but I don’t trust the SPLC to be square with me or anyone else who does this work. I would not trust anyone so committed to discussing "HATE" in American culture who does not include significant links to discussions of the Jewish Talmud.

Yesterday when I was inside the Cat-scan machine with my eyes closed, wondering how long I would be able to stay motionless with the pain, I opened the eyes for just a moment and when I did memory recalled--completely out of the blue--lying under a poncho on the backside of a ridgeline in Korea 57 years ago! It was blistering hot, humid, and the bottom of the poncho was thick with flies. A couple of us had put it up on sticks for a little shade. It was just high enough to put our faces and shoulders under it.

I think I’ve written about this before. But after a bit one of our guys spied a Chinese soldier walking the ridgeline across the draw. He was maybe 400, 500 yards away. A couple guys decided to take him out with their M-1s. The Chinese didn’t even break stride. He turned and walked back the other way, paused for a moment, then turned and walked back the way he had come. It was clear. He was having a little fun with us. The 57mm re-coilless rifle team was brought up. They fired and we saw the dirt kick up a few yards below the Chinese. He kept walking the ridgeline. The guys with the recoilless rifle fired again, and then again. Twice the dirt kicked up below but near the Chinese. Once it must have shot above the ridgeline into space. The Chinese didn’t even break stride. The rest of us started laughing at our recoilless rifle guys. Then some of us started cheering the Chinese. He was putting on a hell of a show. We were laughing and shouting across the gorge, applauding the Chinese with our shouts for his courage and his style. He made our day for us.

Yesterday when I was inside the Cat-scan machine and opened my eyes for only a mo-ment, that’s what memory took the trouble to recall. I notice that memory is taking the trouble to recall that old stuff much more than is necessary. At the same time I am aware that the act of recollection is usually always a pleasure. Almost always.

Today I'm aware of making a lot of typos. If I have left a bunch of them in this post, we'll have to live with it.

3 comments:

Chip said...

You should talk to the SPLC reporter. Just keep changing the subject. When she asks a question about the Weber/IHR kerfuffle, you can say, "Oh, I don't know." Then launch into a long, meandering story about the old swimming hole where you banged up your knee as a kid and how it still gives you problems especially when the weather is bad. If you tell the story a certain way, maybe she'll think you're going somewhere with it. And be sure to ask her lots of questions, too - about odd things, like naps and disco and dog breeds and time travel and soup. Lots of questions about soup.

Ivan de Coward said...

Chip,

My efforts to decrypt your comment brought me to your website. Man, I have to tell you, I have never experienced so much headache caused by mere reading. Perhaps with the exception while reading the Russian translation of Hegel's writings which we all were required to do in the old good days back in the USSR.

Here is a quote from your article "Me and the H-Bomb, Part One: Kyle Broflovski and the Gas Chambers": Why is it fashionably controversial to question long received wisdom in certain touchy domains of human experience but not with reference to the orthodox account of the fate of European Jews during the Second World War? I don't think there is a simple answer.

If the whole purpose of writing of this article was to demonstrate how sophisticated you are then maybe you're right. However, if you are genuinely interested in the answer to your question then you don't have to waste so much ink trying to figure it out yourself - all you need to do is to look around for somebody who already put it for you in the simplest possible terms. It shouldn't be a big problem for you. After all you are a librarian aren't you.

May I suggest my favorite pick: Thoughts on the "Holocaust" by Dr. William Pierce

Earl said...

Sorry to hear you are ailing, Bradley. Been there, done that! Age catches up with us!

Just recently returned from a trip close to the edge, myself. Looked into the abyss five times, and they pulled me back.

Do what you can with the pain, and when the time comes to bail out, you will know it, and it will be time and a relief to go.

Good luck.

Earlaiman