Thursday, July 1, 2010

Elie Wiesel pondering ( I wrote "pandering" and caught myself just in) time

Talking via telephone with Eric Hunt, the exceptional young man who made the egregiously exceptional error of judgment in waylaying Elie Wiesel, believing (egregiously) in the moment that it was a principled act, in a San Francisco Hotel elevator and got a year and a half in the jug for it. He actually thought, in the moment, that Elie would want to talk to him. Ahh . . . youth.

In any event, Eric Hunt is telling me his story and I am going to publish it. Which will give the Abraham Foxmans, the Sara J. Bloomfields and the rest of those folk, not to mention professors everywhere, new ammunition to use against me and CODOH. I’m going to have to live with it. Of course, I’ve been living with it for a long time now and I’m used to it.

And then there is the fact that Eric is more than a little on the bright side, as you can see by what he is posting on the CODOH Forum. He’s working on a concept for doing film. Concepts come and go, but I have a feeling that this one will go straight ahead. There is no timetable for this work yet, but I have a strong feeling that one will develop.

*** Ironically, a young lady named Carolyn Yeager is developing a Web site for CODOH that will focus on what may prove to be an identity crises for our friend Elie Wiesel. It won’t be a crisis for Elie, he will ignore it, but it may well become a crisis for those who exploit his nonsense for money and a crisis for the professors who sooner or later are going to have to face the fact that they have been unwilling to face the fraud of Elie Wiesel. I don’t know how far this will go, I don’t yet know how solid it is at the very bottom, but there is something there, there is considerable there, and we are going to try to find out how much.

For some reason, in this instant, the brain asks why I never hear anything about Elie Wiesel’s son. Looking around I see that in 2001 Time Magazine mentions that Shlomo Elisha Wiesel was 12 years old, making him about 21 now. I thought he was older. I thought that about this time he would be having perhaps some serious psychological issues re his parentage. What might he be thinking of his father? How was that going? But he’s still very young, younger than Eric Hunt even, though not by much, and I don’t think I want to be a bother for the young man.

In the Time piece, when the subject of Elie’s son is being addressed, Elie gazes down from his New York apartment at the bare trees in Central Park and ponders: "Frequently I ask myself, how can one bring a child into this dreadful world, where Holocaust is now preceded by the word nuclear? And then I answer: In a faithless time, what greater act of belief is there than the one of birth? And what better thing to do than prevent the greatest murder of all: the killing of time."

I sense that listening to Elie ponder might itself be the killing of time. Maybe the greatest murder of them all. Still, it’s good to know that Elie ponders this question along with Jim Crawford and me. As Crawford reminds us in his Confessions of an Antinatalist, and as any number of Chinese intellectuals would agree, and which is obvious in any case, “Procreation is both the initiator and the sustainer of illness, oppression, starvation, war and death.” Good luck to Shlomo Elisha then, and all other young men and women everywhere.

1 comment:

Alex Torbiner said...

Elie Wiesel - a crook, a swindler. I am a Jew from Jerusalem, despised villain Wiesel and all the other a liar - witness the Holocaust. How much do you lie?
Alex Torbiner