Saturday, July 3, 2010

Humus, Volkswagens, and dirty diamonds

Was on the other side with my wife doing errands, shopping and so on. At Henry’s Market I found a new brand of humus. I always buy humus when we shop at Henry’s. The brand name of the new humus is “Sabra.” Sabra Dipping Co LLC. A New York company. I hesitated. Did I want to support with my purchase folk who represent a folk who are foursquare against intellectual freedom? After a moment I put two of the little 10-ounce plastic containers in my basket.

Yesterday, while eating the humus with a tortilla, the brain recalled (it’s as if the brain has nothing really important to do) standing in the little kitchen of Merle Edelman and Joan Sitzer's house in Hollywood with half a dozen other guys drinking beer and talking about Volkswagens. That was in the early 60s. In the 50s and 60s the Volkswagen was all the rage in California. These guys, we were all Jews I think except me, were talking about how they would never buy a car manufactured by Germans. The Holocaust and so on. While I saw a certain lack of reason in the argument, I didn’t think much about it.

Today I was telling Hernandez about the humus this week and the Volkswagens of 50 years ago and his response was that not buying a product manufactured by folk who do things you do not approve of was a “civilized” way to protest. Sounds right. So far as Volkswagens and humus go, the Volkswagen is gone, while the Sabra humus is exceptionally creamy, just like it says on the lid.

***

Talking to Eric Hunt about his work with the Zisblatt lady and how she ate, defecated, and ate again her family diamonds at Auschwitz, and how in an email thread the story is defended by a Harvard PhD in history, Professor Kenneth Walzer, who is now director of Jewish Studies at Michigan State University.

No comments: