Thursday, October 7, 2010

You Tube, UC San Diego, the VA,

Today filmed my first You Tube video in close to two months. Addressed to Angela Chen, the editor of The Guardian at UC San Diego. We’ll upload it tomorrow. I feel a little awkward addressing a young lady journalist when I know perfectly well that The Guardian refused to publish the ad announcing my book, Confessions of a Holocaust Revisionist, under pressure from a lot of grown-ups in Administration, Faculty, and or the usual perps from ADL and Hillel. Maybe I’m wrong. Anyhow, tomorrow.

The new team that is moving in my direction these past few weeks has begun to work on CODOHWeb, its first efforts visible on the Contributions page, and in the fundraiser I sent out to CODOH Folk. I will need some infusion of cash presently in order to pay for ads in the campus press. If you’ve just come into an inheritance . . . .

Took care of my taxes for 2009 only yesterday. Couldn’t get around to it. Busy, busy.

And then there was the thing with the night sweats that began four weeks ago. I didn’t like them coming back as they are a common indication that the cancer is in there again. Night sweats are not all that unusual as any number of ladies will tell you, but mine were two, three, four times an hour day and night. Twenty-four hours a day. At the end of the first week I was on the other side running errands when I decided in the middle of a heavy sweat at the teller’s window in the San Ysidro Bank of America that something really was wrong and that I would drive up to La Jolla to the VA Hospital and check into emergency.

I didn’t know if they would take me. How often is sweating an emergency? But I was given a place in line and after a couple hours I was called in to be interviewed by a young Chinese doctor. He took my vitals, chatted me up a bit, looked me over and left. A nurse came in to take some blood and told me I’d be staying the night. I was not sent to oncology, but to what they called “medicine.” There they took a lot of blood, told me I might be there for ten days, and I spent a restless night. The next morning I was told there was nothing they could put their finger on and that I would be sent to oncology the next week. It was suggested in writing that I might be experiencing hypogonadism. I told the nurse it sounded like an insult. But I was given a packet of 5mg. testosterone patches and let go.

The following week, which was last week, I returned to oncology. The sweats had continued night and day. I was getting real tired of them. This time at oncology they did a lot of blood again, then performed a bone marrow biopsy and told me I would get the results this week. During the biopsy there were three uniquely painful spasms in the right buttock and leg. They do not expect to find cancer. So far they have not called. I’ll call them tomorrow. A couple times when I was telling someone I’d had the bone marrow biopsy I would use the term “autopsy” rather than biopsy. Didn’t mean to but it was a source of some happy laughter from my daughter and a couple friends.

I do not have the results from the biopsy, but the sweats have stopped. Three days now. Must be the testosterone patches. Could be a coincidence, but I think it’s the patches. I’ll have to look into the down side of using them. I was half afraid I might become a nuisance for my wife again, but so far that hasn’t happened. We’ll see.

No comments: